Hotels in North Lebanon
NEW STEPS Travel & Tourism, Beirut, Lebanon
Licensed by the Ministry of Tourism
Phone: + 961 4 713 467
For phone booking or last minute booking, please call:
00961 4 713 467 or 00961 4 716 467 or 00961 4 716 649
You can reserve rooms in any of the
just click on the hotel for full listings with description and pictures and then send us an e-mail with details of your booking.
DISCOUNT UP TO 70% النسخة العربية version française
Hotels in North Lebanon
HOTELS IN JBEIL
Castel Mare Beach Hotel and Resort 5*
Very close to the biblical town of Byblos, or
Jbeil as it is known today, the Castel
Mare offers a serene seaside experience for short and long stays.......From
110$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
beach resort 4*
Eddé Sands is a beach resort and
wellness center located on the Mediterranean Sea next to the ancient Port city
of Byblos at a convenient distance of 35 Km north of Beirut.
Open year –round, the 100 000 m2 project seeks to provide a unique five star
platform where guests can comfortably enjoin business with leisure in a setting
imbued in culture and wellness ..............From
110$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
Comfort Hotel 4*
70$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
Canari de Byblos
$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
Victory Byblos Hotel 4*
Victory Byblos Hotel and Spa is a newly established
hotel, located in the old citadele of Byblos and only 2minutes away from the
Souk of Jbeil. From the hotel you can go by walking to the most prestigious
beach resorts in Lebanon. The hotel is only 45 minutes away from the airport
and 10 minutes away from Casino du Liban..From $ per room..
....(more details and special rates)
Byblos Sur Mer Hotel 3* Hotel is located in the ancient port of Byblos - the oldest settlement in Byblos dates back to approximately 5250 B.C.- on a slope overlooking the bay, facing the cidatel 40 Km from Beirut airport and ten minutes away from the "Casino du Liban"......................(more details and special rates)
HOTELS IN BATROUN
Village Club 4* Batroun Village Club is more than a resort. It's a
special mountain retreat where the scenery is always spectacular, the
hospitality is unforgettable, and the recreation opportunities are endless.
More than just an ordinary leisure club, Batroun Village Club meanders through
the course of time. Clearly focusing on the present, it seeks to provide you
with concrete answers to your wishes an...................From
110$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
San Stephano Resort Hotel 4*
Conveniently located in the heart of the
prestigious summer and night life area of Batroun city, San Stephano Resort,
250 m after Batroun Conjunction and 1 Km from the Highway, is the ideal
choice for both families and youth.....(more details and special rates)
HOTELS IN CHIKKA
Florida Beach Hotel 4*
The hotel features 54 well appointed rooms &
suites on the beach, a Marina, all in a Beach Resort of 172 Chalets and 60
Cabins. Whether you are on vacation with your family, on your honey moon or
for a business meeting, Florida Beach Hotel & Resort is "Your
Home by the Sea".......From
125$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
HOTELS IN EHDEN
Ehden Country Club 4*
...........(more details and special rates)
HOTELS IN TRIPOLI
Quality Inn Tripoli
112 Rooms and Suites including: 4 Executive Suites & 4
Senators Suites, Surrounded by 13000m2 of greenery and parks, Meeting and
seminar facilities for up to 500 persons fully equipped with all
audio-visual equipments, Airport pick up.......From
95$ per room.....(more details and special rates)
Pension Al Koura Hotel 2*
Being family owned & operated, Pension Al Koura boasts
numerous attractive attributes. It is a typical Lebanese lodging. The
neighborhood is quite and convenient for an on foot tour of Tripoli. Visitors
will feel at ease at the hotel because of its unique friendly setting...........(more details and special rates)
HOTELS IN BCHARRE
Bauhaus Motel Pension Auberge & furnished Apartment 3*......(more
details and special rates)
Bauhaus Chalets 3*
details and special rates)
Byblos is the Greek name of the Phoenician city Gebal (earlier Gubla). It is a Mediterranean city in the Mount Lebanon Governorate of present-day Lebanon under the current Arabic name of Jbeil and was also referred to as Gibelet during the Crusades.
It is believed to have been founded around 5000 BC, and according to fragments attributed to the semi-legendary pre-Trojan war Phoenician historian Sanchuniathon, it was the first city ever built, and even today is believed by many to be the oldest continuously-inhabited city in the world.History
The Greeks apparently called it Byblos because it was through Gebal that bublos ["Egyptian papyrus"] was imported into Greece. Although it is still referred to as Byblos by scholars, the city is now known by the Arabic name Jubayl or Jbeil , a direct descendant of the Canaanite name. Byblos is located on the Mediterranean coast of present-day Lebanon, about 26 miles (42 kilometers) north of Beirut. It is attractive to archaeologists because of the successive layers of debris resulting from centuries of human habitation. In 1860, the French writer, Ernest Renan carried out an excavation here, but systematic archaeological investigation did not take place until the 1920s.
The site first appears to have been settled during the Neolithic period, approximately 5000 BC. Neothlithic remains of some buildings can be observed at the site. According to the writer Philo of Byblos (quoting Sanchuniathon, and quoted in Eusebius), Byblos had the reputation of being the oldest city in the world, founded by Cronus, and was also where Thoth invented writing. During the 3rd millennium BC, the first signs of a town can be observed, with the remains of well-built houses of uniform size. This was the period when the Phoenician civilization began to develop, and archaeologists have recovered Egyptian-made artifacts dated as early as the 4th dynasty of Egypt.
The growing city was evidently a wealthy one, and seems to have been an ally of Egypt for many centuries. Amarna tablets Byblos of 1350 BC has an extensive sub-corpus of letters-(60) from Rib-Hadda and his successor Ili-Rapih, dealing with the overtaking of neighboring city-states, by the Hapiru. Objects naming the 13th dynasty Egyptian king Neferhotep I have been found there while the rulers of Byblos maintained close rationships with the New Kingdom pharaohs of Ancient Egypt.
Archaeological evidence at Byblos, dating back to around 1200 BC, shows existence of a Phoenician alphabetic script which consisted of twenty-two characters; an important example of this script is the sarcophagus of king Ahiram. The use of the alphabet was spread by Phoenician merchants through their maritime trade into parts of North Africa and Europe. One of the most important monuments of this period is the temple of Resheph, a Canaanite war god, but this had fallen into ruins by the time of Alexander. Byblos Port, the oldest port in the world, is more than 5000 years oldIn the Assyrian period, Sibittibaal of Byblos became tributary to Tiglath-pileser III in 738 BC, and in 701 BC, when Sennacherib conquered all Phoenicia, the king of Byblos was Urumilki. Byblos was also subject to Assyrian kings Esarhaddon (r.681-669 BCE) and Ashurbanipal (r.668-627 BCE), under its own kings Milkiasaph and Yehawmelek. In the Persian period (538-332 BC), Byblos was the fourth of four Phoenician vassal kingdoms established by the Persians; the first three being Sidon, Tyre, and Arwad. Hellenistic rule came with the arrival of Alexander the Great in the area in 332 BC. Coinage was in use, and there is abundant evidence of continued trade with other Mediterranean countries.
It is interesting to note that Greek has a second word for papyrus, bublos ( said to derive from the name of the Phoenician city of Byblos). The word bible derives from the city's name.
Byblos was also a main port city for Phoenicia from 3000 BC-1 AD. Terracotta jug from Byblos (now in the Louvre), Late Bronze Age (1600-1200 BC). During the Roman period, the temple of Resheph was elaborately rebuilt, and the city, though smaller than its neighbours such as Tyre and Sidon, was a centre for the cult of Adonis. In the 3rd century, a small but impressive theatre was constructed. The coming of the Byzantine Empire resulted in the establishment of a bishop's seat in Byblos, and the town grew rapidly. Although a Persian colony is known to have been established in the region following the Muslim conquest of 636, there is little archaeological evidence for it. Trade with the rest of Europe effectively dried up, and it was not until the coming of the Crusaders in 1098 that prosperity returned to Byblos.
Byblos, under the name of Gibelet or Giblet, was an important military base in the 11th century, and the remains of its Crusader castle are among the most impressive architectural structures now visible at its centre. The town was taken by Saladin in 1187, re-taken by the Crusaders, and eventually conquered by Beibars in 1266. Its fortifications were subsequently restored. From 1516 until 1918, the town and the whole region came under Turkish domination and formed part of the Ottoman Empire. Byblos and all of Lebanon was placed under French Mandate from 1920 until 1943 when Lebanon achieved Independence.
THE WAX MUSEUM - Byblos
The museum is an adventure through Lebanese history. It takes you back to the Phoenician Age and reflects its civilization (ships, pottery, glass...) and its legends (Adonis, Astarte, Cadmus.. ). The museum then explores more recent history moments. You find princes and their ways of living as well as important events up to independence. Location: Byblos - In front of the Citadel. Hours: 9 A.M-6 P.M.
SAINT SHARBEL MUSEUM
The monastery of Annaya in the mountains above Byblos is a historical site. the museum redraws the life of Saint Sharbel in an interesting way. Tourists can visit the site and the museum for religious or cultural reasons. The scenes of the life of Saint Sharbel recreated give the visitor a glimpse at the life of villagers of the mountains during the last century. Saint Sharbel grew up in Bkaakafra, the highest village in the Middle East (1,980 meters). Location: Annaya - Jbeil Mountains
TripoliTripoli is known as the capital of North Lebanon. From the beginning, Tripoli was an unusual city due to its configuration; for it was not one city but three cities in one – hence the name Tri-Poli.
Its geographical and strategic position was further enhanced by the presence of offshore islands and natural ports. Tripoli thus inevitably played and still plays a predominant role in the political and economical developments in the region and the Middle East for over two millennia.
You can find many churches in Tripoli which are a reminder of the history of the city. These churches also show the diversity of Christians in Lebanon and particularly in Tripoli. Here are some of the churches in Tripoli:
The Citadel of Tripoli (Crusader Castle of Saint-Gilles)
The citadel of Tripoli was built by Esendernir al-Kurji, governor of Tripoli, in 1308 (A.H.707) on the emplacement of the castle of Saint-Gilles.This Mamluk emir was also responsible for several works of public utility in the city such as a public bath and a large market place.
When the Mont Pèlerin quarter was set ablaze by the Mamluks in 1289, the castle of Saint-Gilles suffered from the holocaust and stood abandoned on the hilltop for the next eighteen years. It was essential to have an adequate stronghold in Tripoli for the sultan’s troops, temporarily garrisoned in Hisnal-Akrád,as the distance was too great in case of enemy attack.
The governor therefore chose the emplacement of the gutted Crusader castle on the hill, incorporating what he could in his citadel, and made use of Roman column shafts and other building material he found nearby. Many of the interior walls, ramps and terraces of the citadel seen today were built in his time.
Abou’l Fidá and Ibn al-Wardi record that, among the important events which took place in the year A.H 746 (1345), was the promulgation of a military decree which was set up by order of the Mamluk Sultan al-Kamil Sha’bân in the citadels of Aleppo, Tripoli, Hisn al-Akrâd and other fortified places.The decree, put over the second entrance way of the citadel of Tripoli, is by far the best preserved. Apparently this sultan, who lived a life of luxury and debauch, was in constant need of extra revenues. In order to fill his depleted treasury, he imposed a heavy registration tax upon all feudal land concessions and appropriations.
This tax was unpopular and was obviously going to stir up discontent among his subjects. To forestall any uprising and gain the support of his troops, upon whom his power was based he issued this military decree. It was the custom that a Mamluk soldier, under contract for a specified number of years, received an annual gratuity which amounted to slightly over eleven days extra pay. If the soldier died before the end of his contract, the sultan had the right to claim the extra sum of money which had accumulated during the soldier’s years of service. Sha’bán abandoned his rights to this claim, once and for all, hoping thus to enlist the support of his troops.
In 1516 Syria and Egypt fell to the Ottoman Sultan Selim I. His son and successor Suleiman I, called the Magnificent (1520-1566), soon after his accession made an inspection tour of his newly-conquered lands. He gathered about him in Damascus all his provincial governors and on this occasion took the decision to rebuild the great citadel of Tripoli .
Over the entrance portal, the sultan commemorated
this important restoration work with an inscription:
"In the name of Allah, it has been decreed by the royal sultan’s order, al Malik al-Muzuffar Sultan Suleiman Shah, son of Sultan Selim Shah, may his orders never cease to be obeyed by the emirs, that this blessed citadel be restored so as to be a fortified stronghold for all time.
Its construction was completed in the blessed month of Sha’bân of the year 927 (July 1521) In the years that followed, various Ottoman governors of Tripoli did restoration work on the citadel to suit their needs and with time the medieval crenelated battlements were destroyed in order to open sally ports for cannons. Very little of the original Crusader structure has survived until this day.
The graves of a number of nameless Frankish knights, here and there, are the only bits of evidence today evocative of their presence on the heights of Tripoli’s "Pilgrim’s Mountain" many centuries ago.
The Clock Tower
The Clock tower is one of the most popular monuments in Tripoli. The tower is located in Al-Tell square and was constructed by the Ottomans as a gift to the city of Tripoli.
The Clock tower has undergone a complete renovation recently with funding from the Turkish government and now the clock tower is again operational. Next to the Clock Tower, you will find “Al Mashieh” which is the oldest and most beautiful park in Tripoli.
When Tripoli was visited by Ibn Batutah in 1355, he described the newly founded Mamluk city. "Traversed by water-channels and full of’ gardens", he writes, "the houses are newly built. The sea lies two leagues distant, and the ruins of the old town ate seen on the sea-shore.
It was taken by the Franks, but al-Malik ath-Tháhir (Qala’un) retook it from them, and then laid the place in ruins and built the present town. There are fine baths here.’’ Indeed, the hammams built in Tripoli by the early Mamluk governors were splendid edifices and many of them are still present until today. Some of the more known are:
• Izz El-Din
Tripoli is a very rich city containing many mosques that are spread all over the city. In every district of the city you will find a mosque. During the Mamluk era, a lot of mosques were built and many still remain until today.
When visiting the Mosque, please make sure that you remember the Islamic rules and traditions. Shoes should be taken off and left at the entrance of the mosque and women should make sure they wear something conservative (covering arms and legs) and make sure to cover their hair.
Some of the more known mosques are:
• Abou Bakr Al Siddeeq
• Arghoun Shah
• Kabir al Aali
• Mahmoud Beik the Sanjak
• Mansouri Great Mosque
• Omar Ibn El-Khattab Mosque
• Sidi Abdel Wahed
• Tawbah Mosque
The Offshore Islands
Tripoli has many offshore islands. The largest is called today the "Island of Palm Trees" by some, and by others "Rabbits’ Island".
• Palm Island or
This is the largest of the islands with an area of 20 hectares. The name "Araneb" or Rabbits comes from the great numbers of rabbits that were grown on the island during the time of the French mandate early in the 20th century. It is now a nature reserve for green turtles, rare birds and rabbits. Declared as a protected area by UNESCO in 1992, camping, fire building or other depredation is forbidden. In addition to its scenic landscape, the Palm Island is also a cultural heritage site. Evidence for human occupation, dated back to the Crusader period, was uncovered during 1973 excavations by the General Directorate of Antiquities.
• The Bakar
Islands (Cow Island)
It was also known as St Thomas Island during the Crusades. It is the closest to the shore and can be accessed via a bridge that was built in 1998.
• The Bellan
The Island’s name comes from a plant found on the island and used to make brooms. Some people claim that the name comes from the word “blue whale” (Baleine in French) that appeared next to the island in early 20th century.
• Fanar (Lantern)
The Island is 1600 meters long and it is the home for an old light-house built during the 1960's.
The Soap Khan
At the end of the 15th century, the governor of Tripoli (Lebanon) Youssef Bek Sayfa established Khan Al Saboun (the hotel of soap traders). This market was finished at the beginning of the 16th century, the last days of the Mamlouks ruling. The manufacture of soap was very popular in Tripoli. There, the market became a trade center where soap was produced and sold. Afterwards, traders of Tripoli began to export their soap to Europe.
At first, those perfumed soaps were offered as gifts in Europe. Therefore, handiwork developed in Tripoli. Due to the ongoing increase of the demand, craftsmen started to consider this job as a real art and wanted to satisfy their product amateurs by manufacturing various forms of more effective good-quality soap. That’s how the Arab and occidental countries began to import the soap of Tripoli. Nowadays, we find all kinds of soaps in Tripoli: slimming soaps, anti-acne soaps, moisturizing soaps… Some producers are even turning to exportation more than ever.
The raw material used for these kinds of soap is olive oil. The Tripoli soap is also composed of: honey, essential oils, natural aromatic raw materials like: flowers, petals, herbs… The soaps are dried in the sun, in a dry atmosphere: this allows the evaporation of water that served to mix the different ingredients.
The drying operation lasts for almost three months. As water evaporates, a thin white layer appears on the soap surface: it is the soda that comes from the sea salts. The craftsman brushes the soap very carefully with his hand until the powder trace is entirely eliminated.
KouraKoura is one of the 26 districts of Lebanon, which is very popular for the olive tree cultivation. It is known by its green color. A total of 52 villages make up the Koura area (173 km2). Koura's capital is the town of Amioun (14000 official inhabitant, statistics of 2006, but less than 4000 permanent residents). It is geographically diversified with 3 types of land: - a costal side to the Mediterranean Sea - a large olive plain - some villages in the mountains. Kfarhata, one of Koura's villages, is stated by many international figures to be "Heaven on Earth".
It is mainly an Orthodox Christian district. The olive plains of El Koura are estimated to be the largest olive plains in the world. Kouranian people were living for centuries from this kind of agriculture. It has been known that the olive crop in the area is of very fine quality. The importance of kouranian olive trees is that they offer an excellent quality of olive oil, extracted through the cold manner.
It is also known in Lebanon, that El-Koura is the "human-cistern" of highly educated people, mostly because during the 20th century, major changes impacted local population at this district (which was based on agriculture of olive, olive oil and olive soap production, and with lesser extent on cultivation of grapes and silkworm cocoon), and modified it into a now highly educated society in Lebanon.
Lebanon Hotels Syria Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Jordan Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Jordan Hotels Jordan Hotels Jordan Hotels Jordan Hotels Jordan Hotels Lebanon Hotels Lebanon Hotels Syria Hotels